The Cockshutt is a nature conservation area which is regularly enjoyed by residents from the Wrockwardine Wood & Trench and St. Georges and Priorslee Parish areas.
The site comprises a large area of heathland scrub surrounded by woodland and amenity grassland which provides a natural environment for a variety of wild life, including birds and bats. The site was designated as a Green Network site by Telford & Wrekin Council in 1990 and has a good network of paths ideal for dog walkers, casual walkers, horse riders and school children.
There is a Local heritage walk leaflet available, that was produced by the Friends of the Cockshutt Group in 2009/10, which gives a walking guide that takes in the Cockshutt along with the industrial history of Wrockwardine Wood over the past 150 years. Link to leaflet.
The Friends of the Cockshutt Group are working towards getting the area designated as a local nature reserve. Contact for the group is Councillor Stephen Reynolds who can be contacted at email@example.com
A document entitled ‘A Short History & Profile of Wrockwardine Wood’ includes the following article on The Cockshutt:
“The name Cockshutt or Cockshoote is synonymous with woodland. It would be hard to imagine a treeless Cockshutt, yet the mining efforts of the 17th and 18th Century left parts of the Parish appearing derelict. A survey of trees in 1837 found only 252 trees remaining. The Lilleshall Company was responsible for the re-afforestation of the area in 1865.”
You can find more history on the Cockshutt and Wrockwardine Wood at www.british-history.ac.uk